Recipe: Nutritious Summer Salad
Standard leafy salads start to bore me after a while, and I can't help but think about all those carbs in my favorite concoction, Pasta Salad.  But after trying some Tabouli from Coles - which is no doubt uninspiring to most - I got thinking....  A healthy salad that's easy and quick to make - in fact, I usually knock it up of an evening while dinner is on the go.  Keeps well in the fridge or chilled in a cooler, and adaptable to whatever veg. I happen to like at the time or have in the fridge.

Here's what I came up with!!


Cous Cous Summer Salad

Cook 1 cup of Cous Cous according to directions (and taste), and allow to cool.

Prepare
Bunch of Parsley (or to taste) - Finely Chop
Small Bunch of Fresh Chives - Coarsely Chopped (Or Red/Spring Onion if you prefer)
2 Tomatoes or Handfull of Cherry Tomatoes - Diced Chunkily
1/2 Lebanese Cucumber - Diced Chunkily
1 Stick Celery - Diced
4 Mushrooms (I like Swiss Brown) - Quartered (or halved and sliced, if large)
1/4 Cup Pepitas (or other favorite seed)
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice (or Lime Juice)
Salt/Pepper to taste (I just use a pinch of Murray River Salt Flakes)

Combine
In a large container, combine the Cous Cous, Oil, Juice and fresh ingredients.  More Olive Oil or a small amount of water may need to be added to keep the cous cous moist and prevent it from sucking moisture out of the ingredients too much.  I use nice juicy tomatoes, so they usually do the trick!!

Refrigerates well, and is fantastic for a lunch you can eat when busy!  YUM!

Labels: edit post
Comments
0 Comments
0 Responses

Post a Comment

I just love reading comments!

save the date